The mission at Thin Blue Line of Leadership is to inspire law enforcement leaders to be better than they were yesterday. Sharing positive leadership tactics and creating a positive law enforcement culture are on-going commitments that must be nurtured and developed over time by anyone in a law enforcement leadership position.
Here are 10 Law Enforcement Leadership Commandments . . .
- Emphasize good culture over rules. Good culture within a squad will take care of the rules.
- Create and train your officers to be the next leaders of the organization. Develop them through mentorship.
- Remember your “why” and share it often. Also know your officers’ “why” and don’t let them forget it.
- Your officers will only be as good as they are trained to be. Under stress they will default to it.
- Emphasize the value in doing the right thing at the right time for the right reasons.
- Teach your officers not to operate in fear. Fear breeds hesitation.
- Recognize, reward, and promote good police work as a matter of routine.
- Be purposeful in your briefings. Don’t let the little time you have with the whole squad go to waste.
- Create influence through contact, communication, and connection. Get out of the office and handle some calls with them.
- You will succeed the most through your officers succeeding. Don’t put personal gain above their needs.
Have something that you would have added to this list? Share your thoughts or comments with us on our Facebook page. Continue saving the world one call at a time and as always, LEAD ON!
Law Officer is honored to partner with the Thin Blue Line of Leadership as we continue to bring you leadership articles for law enforcement. You can contact them on twitter @tbl_leadership.