CORCORAN, Calif. – Two convicted child molesters have died following a fellow inmate’s attack with a walking cane at a central California prison, authorities said Wednesday.
Prison officials said Graham De Luis-Conti, 62, died in a hospital Sunday. His death came three days after receiving blows to the head at the California Substance Abuse Treatment Facility and State Prison in Corcoran, about 50 miles south of Fresno, Fox 26 reported.
Authorities initially said the second victim remained in critical condition Monday but the information was revised Wednesday.
The suspect in the Jan. 16 attacks, inmate Jonathan Watson, 41, is also accused of killing David Bobb, 48, who died on the way to the hospital, authorities said.
Bobb was also struck in the head multiple times, Fox News reported.
Watson has served 10 years of a life sentence for first-degree murder and discharging a firearm causing great bodily injury or death.
The motive of the cane attack remained under investigation, said spokeswoman Terri Hardy of the state Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation.
De Luis-Conti had been imprisoned since June 2001 after receiving a life sentence for aggravated assault against a child under 14, FOX 26 of Fresno reported.
Bobb had also been serving a life sentence since October 2005 for aggravated assault against a child under 14, the station reported.