LOS ANGELES — David Lacey, the husband of former Los Angeles County District Attorney Jackie Lacey, will not face jail time for pulling a handgun on Black Lives Matter protesters who showed up at the couple’s home uninvited early one morning last year.
L.A. County Superior Court judge allowed Lacey, 67, to enter a diversion program Thursday to resolve charges stemming from the confrontation on March 2, 2020, the day before his wife was up for re-election in the primary, Daily Wire reported.
BLM members and allies gathered outside the Lacey’s house demanding a meeting with the then-district attorney. They were chanting, banging on drums, and then rang the doorbell. The group demanded a meeting over her unwillingness to prosecute police officers who had been involved in fatal shootings, according to reports.
Partial video of the incident posted on social media showed David Lacey pointing a handgun outside the front door in the direction of the demonstrators, ordering them to leave his property, and threatening to discharge the weapon.
“Get off of my porch,” he said. “I will shoot you. Get off of my porch.”
During the confrontation, David Lacey told the protesters that he was calling the police as he turned and went back inside his house and closed the door.
#BREAKING This morning Los Angeles District Attorney Jackie Lacey’s husband pulled a gun out on Black Lives Matter activists who protested his wife in front of their house. @BLMLA pic.twitter.com/wnCFMMvaWV
— Jasmyne Cannick (@Jasmyne) March 2, 2020
“We maintain David’s innocence,” said Samuel E. Tyre, Lacey’s defense attorney, in a statement. “He was protecting his wife and family from protesters the night of the incident. This diversion allows David to avoid the risks of a jury trial. We are happy the judge and the attorney general agreed diversion was appropriate.”
According to the agreement, the criminal case against David Lacey will be dismissed after he performs 100 hours of community service and attends anger management and gun safety classes, the Los Angeles Times reported. He also is barred from possessing a firearm for the duration of the agreement, which lasts 18 months.
Last October, BLM organizers filed a civil lawsuit against the Lacey’s due to the armed encounter, Law Officer reported.
The 16-page suit, filed by BLM organizer Melina Abdullah and demonstrators Dahlia Ferlito and Justin Marks, accuses the Laceys of assault, negligence and infliction of emotional distress in connection with the March, 2020, clash.