New York — Despite once-popular demands to “defund the police,” New York City residents are now demanding the opposite: they’re demanding more police. After a series of gruesome murders and slashings, it seems New Yorkers are afraid to ride the subways, the New York Post reported.
Fortunately, the New York Police Deparment heard the cries for help, and more than 500 more officers will be deployed according to NYPD Commissioner Dermot Shea.
However, it is difficult to ignore that New York seems to be yet another city struggling with violent crime in the wake of the “defund the police” movement. And like many other people who have heard the non-stop demands to “defund the police” in the past several months, you could say we’re a bit confused to hear about the demands for more police.
To help sort out the confusion, we think America needs an explanation, if not “accountability” for the rising crime and demands for more police.
So, we’d like to hear what supporters of the “defund the police” movement have to say. In fact, for the sake of ever-so-popular inclusivity, anyone with virtue-signaling hashtags and self-righteous memes supporting the “defund the police” movement scattered about their social media should speak up as well.
The Irony & Ignorance of the “Defund the Police” Movement
And just to be clear, we’re not asking. Like yourselves, WE ARE DEMANDING supporters of the “defund the police movement” to speak out.
Please tell us how your plan to defund and decrease policing efforts to fight crime is working. Please give us an update about how your movement is keeping America safe. And please “speak up” and tell the terrified New York City residents, like residents in so many other cities, that they should not be afraid—because somehow, through the stupidity of it all, the “defund the police” movement will keep them safe.
And please allow us to make a few other demands because your ignorance—that is, your choosing to ignore the consequences of empowering criminal behavior—has become ignorable.
Open Letter to Ignorance & "Defund the Police" Supporters
Dear BLM leaders, politicians, prosecutors, and others who support "defunding the police":
On behalf of every law enforcement officer in America—and every person who wants to live without fear—we hereby make the following demands.
- WE DEMAND supporters of the “defund the police” movement and the self-righteous leaders of the BLM movement to explain how defunding the police will reduce crime on New York City subways or anywhere else in America.
- WE DEMAND ignorant politicians who put pandering to popular stupidity ahead of public safety to speak up as well. And feel free to hold yourselves accountable for all the increasing violent crime across America while you’re at it.
- WE DEMAND every woke-minded prosecutor, lawmaker, judge, and other so-called progressive criminal justice professional to explain how YOUR actions and policies will fix rising violent crime, whether specifically in New York City subways, or generally anywhere people want to feel safe.
- WE DEMAND details about how defunding law enforcement is going to improve public safety and stop skyrocketing violent crime.
- WE DEMAND that you explain why people are no longer making demands to “defund the police”—but making desparate pleas for more police.
Also, to be emphatically clear, we are not asking for the sake of empty rhetoric. We are asking for specifics. We are asking about the consequences of your words. And we’re asking because we are tired of watching honorable law enforcement officers struggle to keep other safe, while you continue to make completely senseless—and now clearly dangerous—demands to “defund the police.”
Lastly, as you may have heard, “silence causes violence.” So please speak up and explain how your demands for “defunding the police” have made America safer.
WE—supporters of common sense and civility—eagerly await your reply…
—Defend The Heroes