CAPE CORAL, Fla. — Police in Florida say a man shot and killed his dog while he was intoxicated. His drunken rage led to the criminal act, which landed him in jail.
News outlets report Korey James Potts, 23, was arrested Monday and faces several charges including aggravated animal cruelty.
Cape Coral Police Department Master Sergeant Patrick O’Grady said officers responding to a shots-fired call found a large, light brown mixed-breed dog dead in a vacant lot next to the home. Moreover, he said Potts came out crying and told police he shot his dog, Gordo, according to WFTS.
Witnesses reported the dog running around outside before hearing gunshots. Next they saw Potts’ lying near the dog.
Hence, police said the dog was deceased.
Potts’ roommate told officers she brought him inside after seeing him in the yard with a handgun.
Potts admitted to drinking earlier.
According to video obtained by WINK news, Potts was seen severely beating the dog earlier as it tried to get away. At one point Gordo tried to hide beneath a vehicle.
In the News:
- WAR VETERAN-POLICE OFFICER TO CHALLENGE ILHAN OMAR FOR CONGRESSIONAL SEAT
- OHIO MAN CHARGED WITH MURDER IN COLD CASE ARSON THAT KILLED WIFE, 2 CHILDREN
- FAMILY OF FALLEN OFFICER FORCED TO REMOVE BLUE LIVES MATTER FLAG AMID COMPLAINTS
Consequently, Potts is charged with Aggravated Animal Cruelty, Discharging a Firearm in a Public of Residential Property and Using a Firearm While Under the Influence of an Alcoholic Beverage.
It’s unclear whether he has an attorney.
- Man threatening to kill cops, arrested on way to protest with AK-47 and Uzi - June 3, 2020
- Florida sheriff warns looters that his county is heavily armed - June 3, 2020
- Where Is The Body Camera Footage? - June 3, 2020