Police Officer, Austin, TX
144th Police Cadet – Regular Academy – June 2021
- $50,000/year during academy. $59,268/year at graduation.
- Job Close Date
This Spring 2021 enrollment session is for everyone interested in participating in the 144th Cadet Class which is set to begin on June 7th, 2021. After you submit your application, you will need to attend one testing session from the dates listed below in order to proceed in the hiring process.
All testing sessions will start promptly at 7:00am at Recruiting Office located at 1520 Rutherford Ln Bldg 3, Austin, TX 78754.
- Thursday, May 13th, 2021
- Friday, May 14th, 2021
- Saturday, May 15th, 2021
- Sunday, May 16th, 2021
Applicants should possess the following knowledge, skills, and abilities to be successful in a law enforcement career:
- Read and write English.
- Confidence and a responsible attitude.
- The ability to react quickly and take positive action.
- The ability to remain calm in challenging situations.
- The ability to work alone and in a team.
- Strong communication skills.
- Courage and initiative.
- Good physical fitness.
Graduates of the Austin Police Department academy are responsible for:
- The protection of life, liberty, and property.
- Enforcement of all laws of the State of Texas and laws and ordinances of the City of Austin.
- Perform law enforcement duties including:
- Respond to calls for service.
- Enforce traffic laws.
- Conduct preliminary investigations of crimes.
- Execute all lawful process.
- Arrest offenders with and without warrant when authorized by law.
- Investigate motor vehicle crashes.
- Prepare various written reports.
- Give testimony in court.
- Confer with local law enforcement, criminal justice, and emergency response agencies on matters of mutual interest.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
The Austin Police Department is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The minimum qualifications include:
- Between 20.5 and 45 years of age at time of application.
- US Citizen, born or naturalized.
- Have a valid Driver’s License.
- HS Diploma or GED.
Note to Applicants
- In order to submit your application, you will be required to attach an Experian Credit Report.
- Your credit report must be dated within 30 days of your application. Failure to do this correctly may result in your disqualification from the hiring process.
- Applicants will be contacted via email throughout the hiring process. Please add iCIMS (@agents.icims.com) to your Approved/Safe Senders list to ensure that our email communications are received. Click here for instructions on whitelisting iCIMS.
- You should review the Additional Information Document to prepare yourself for the next steps in the hiring process.
- You can find additional information on our hiring process at www.APDRecruiting.org.