Police Cadet PCO, Albuquerque PD
$40,248 a year
Full Job Description
Provide basic law enforcement services to an assigned area under the direction of a Field Services Sergeant.
This is a safety sensitive position subject to random drug/alcohol testing.
You will not be considered until you have 1st completed the application and selection process at APD online, please click here to apply.
$5,000 HIRING BONUS
Job descriptions are intended to present a general list of tasks/duties performed by employees within this job classification. Job Descriptions are not intended to reflect all duties performed within the job.
- Must be 21 years of age by graduation from the academy.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and obtain a New Mexico driver’s (Class D) license within 30 days of your date of hire.
- Must be a United States citizen.
- Must have a high school diploma or GED.
- Must pass the Police Entry-Level Written Examination and other required examinations and assessments.
- No felony convictions. Criminal activity in which applicant has been convicted of, pled guilty to, or entered a plea of nolo contendere to any felony charge, been involved in any prosecution diversion program (PPP) as adjudicated for a felony crime committed will be permanently disqualified. Felony arrests will be evaluated on a case by case basis.
- No misdemeanor convictions within the last three (3) years from the date of initial testing. Candidates who within 3 years preceding their written test date, have been convicted of, pled guilty to, or entered a plea of nolo contendre to any violation of federal law, state law, or local ordinance that would be classified as a misdemeanor crime, will be reviewed on an individual basis (does not include minor traffic violations). Misdemeanor arrests will be evaluated on a case by case basis.
- No DWI convictions within the last five (5) years from the date of initial testing, whether from an administrative sanction by a Motor Vehicle Department, criminal conviction, or military disciplinary action. Multiple DWIs in the most recent ten (10) year period disqualifies an individual as an applicant. (Multiple is defined as two (2) or more DWIs). DWI arrests will be evaluated on a case by case basis.
- An applicant cannot have been convicted of a Domestic Violence Act. Domestic related arrests will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
- No use in the last two (2) years of any illegal drug that would amount to a misdemeanor crime if found in possession (includes marijuana).
- No use in the last five (5) years of any illegal drug that would amount to a felony crime if found in possession (includes felony prescription drug use).
- Any financial accounts referred to collections, written or charged off need supporting documentation that the accounts are actively being resolved. Accounts referred to collections will be reviewed on a case by case basis and may result in disqualification.
- Any history of discipline, termination or resignation in lieu of termination is grounds for disqualification.
- Possession of a City Operator’s Permit (COP) within six (6) months from date of hire.
- Methods, techniques and procedures of law enforcement including patrol, crime prevention, investigation and identification
- Principles of report preparation
- Pertinent Federal, State and local laws, codes, state statutes, city ordinances, state vehicle codes and safety regulations
- Firearms and defensive tactics skills and survival techniques
- Routine Street Patrol
- Principles and practices of firearm use
- Occupational hazards and standard safety practices
- Pertinent Federal, State and local laws, codes and regulations
- Use and properly care for firearms
- Understand, interpret and apply laws, regulations, policies and procedures
- Prepare clear and concise reports
- Analyze situations quickly and objectively to determine and take appropriate action
- Identify potential crime situations or traffic hazards and take preventive action
- Perform defensive tactics and survival techniques
- Respond to requests and inquiries from the general public
- Communicate clearly and concisely
- Perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work