Entry-Level Police Officer, Tukwila Police, Washington
The Tukwila Police Department is recruiting for Entry Level Police Officer. Upon completion of the entry level exam and WAPAT testing, all applicants scores are automatically forwarded to the Tukwila Police Department.
All applicants must take the entry level exam as well as the WAPAT prior to June 30, 2021. The Tukwila Police Department will accept WAPAT scores from other agencies for further review and considerations.
Applicants who attain a passing score on both the entry level exam and the physical abilities test, the Tukwila Police Department will contact applicants upon reviewing application materials and scores to continue to participate in other stages of the department selection process.
The Tukwila Police Department requires the candidate PHQ. You can access the questionnaire through your candidate account. We encourage you to complete the PHQ as soon as possible. The PHQ must be completed or you may not be considered further in the process.
Salary Information: $75,600 Yearly, $6,300 Monthly
- Generous health benefits include full medical, dental and vision for employee, spouse/domestic partner and children
- 96 hours of vacation yearly (Accrued yearly)
- 96 hours of annual leave yearly (Accrued yearly)
- 110 Kelly days hours (As paid time off or as payout)
- 129 Holiday bank hours (As paid time off or as payout)
- 2% AA, 4% BA education incentive pay for approved courses of study upon completion of probationary period
- Workout on duty in department fitness facility
- Discounted fitness memberships available to many area gyms
- Comprehensive Quartermaster program that supplies 100% of issued equipment, uniforms, and weapons including footwear
- Plentiful off-duty employment opportunities
- Overtime and/or compensatory time allowances for overtime, callback, court, standy-by and other instances
- 457 deferred compensation plan
- Washington LEOFF II retirement plan
- 5% premium pay for specialty assignments
- Excellent patrol work schedule with the same three days off every week and every other Saturday off (6 month shift rotations)
About Our Community:
A unique city, Tukwila is one of the most diverse communities in the country, with more than 80 languages spoken in its schools. Tukwila is also home to Southcenter Mall, which is the largest retail mall in the Pacific Northwest. The population of Tukwila is just over 20,000, however, more than 47,000 people work in the City every day and the daytime population increases to over 150,000. The City has 325 full time employees, 90 temporary extra labor and nine labor unions. Tukwila is a full-service city, with its own Police and Fire departments, as well as a robust Public Works department.
Our Mission: To provide superior services that support a safe, inviting, healthy environment for our residents, businesses and guests.
All potential team members are evaluated on the following values:
Caring –We support the diverse community we serve with compassion, empathy and kindness.
Professional – We hold ourselves to the highest ethical standards and act with integrity and transparency. We are respectful and courteous with all.
Responsive – We are timely and effective in the delivery of great customer service. We continually strive to find innovative ways to improve.
About the Tukwila Police Department:
The members of the Tukwila Police Department are committed to being responsive to our community in the delivery of quality services. We recognize our responsibility to maintain order, while affording dignity and respect to every individual. Our mission is improve quality of life for all through community partnerships and problem solving to promote safe, secure neighborhoods.
Selection and Civil Service Testing Guidelines:
Civil Service Testing for entry consists of complete online application (including transcripts), a telephone interview, written exam, oral board, background investigation, polygraph examination, written/oral psychological exams, and a medical exam. The testing is scheduled at your convenience. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to [email protected]
Age : 21
US Citizen : Yes, or legally authorized to work in the US
High School Grad/GED : Yes
Valid WASHINGTON State Driver’s License : Yes
Ability to Read/Speak English : Yes
Vision : Applicant must have normal color vision. Applicant must have vision correctable to 20/20 in the better eye and 20/30 in the lesser eye. Applicants wearing eyeglasses or hard contacts must have uncorrected vision no worse than 20/200 in each eye. Applicants wearing soft contacts must be able to:
- Provide verifiable documentation that soft contacts have been worn regularly for at least one (1) year prior to application
- Meets minimum vision acuity standards with soft contact lenses, and
- There are no indications of corneal damage, or conditions of the eye which might require discontinuation of soft contact use
Additional Requirements : Initial screening will be solely based on the contents and completeness of the “education” and “work experience” section of your application.
In order to be considered for this position you MUST apply on-line and complete the entire Application. Please include related work experience in law enforcement and any other additional educational or volunteer experience related to the field.
Submit a one (1) page letter of interest to the Police Chief addressing your values and why you choose the Tukwila Police Department as a choice of employment.
Attach a current chronological resume and if applicable copies of college degree transcripts.
Automatic Disqualification barring employment in the City of Tukwila PD :
- Any adult felony conviction on current criminal record at time of application;
- Any juvenile felony conviction within the past five years;
- Conviction of any crime of violence, including domestic violence;
- Commission of any sexual offense within the past 10 years;
- Any conviction of a felony crime at any time while employed in any capacity with Law Enforcement Agency (including volunteer, intern, Explorer, and reserve positions);
- Any theft of property or money within the last five years;
- Any conviction for a sex related crime;
- Ever having to register as a sex offender, regardless of conviction status;
- Any conviction for solicitation of prostitution;
- Any misdemeanor convictions for crimes not specifically stated above will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- As an adult, convicted of any felony drug crime;
- Have used marijuana or mushrooms within the last 12 months;
- Used hallucinogens (including GHB and ecstasy; excludes mushrooms), cocaine, methamphetamine, or opiates within the last 10 years;
- Usage of any other illegal drug, including steroids and prescription abuse, will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis;
- Have illegally used 4 or more different controlled substances, including marijuana, in the last 10 years;
- Have at any time manufactured, transported or cultivated illegal drugs (including marijuana) for the purpose of sale or distribution;
- Have used any illegal drugs while employed in a criminal justice capacity;
- Have ever obtained or used a prescription drug under false pretenses;
- Have ever, at any time, injected amphetamines, methamphetamine, cocaine, heroin, barbiturates, or valium;
- Have ever illegally used a drug after submitting an application to any Law Enforcement Agency;
- Have ever sold or distributed illegal drugs, including marijuana;
- Any more than two drug convictions for any of the narcotics listed above.
- Any criminal traffic conviction within the past 5 years. Violation examples include, but are not limited to: driving under the influence (DUI), reckless driving, negligent driving, or hit and run driving;
- Suspension or revocation of your driver’s license (for any traffic violation) within five years of the date of the employment application;
- Any more than two criminal convictions for traffic related offenses.
- Any willful failure to pay income tax or court ordered child support is disqualifying;
- A credit check will be conducted regarding your financial history.
- Must have been discharged from the Military under honorable conditions. Any discharge other than honorable will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
- Any applicant who maintains an on-going relationship with individuals who are criminals and/or who are reputed to be involved in recent or current criminal activity;
- An applicant’s criminal record, including all arrests, prosecutions, deferred prosecutions, “Alford” pleases, and non-conviction information will be thoroughly assessed and may be grounds for disqualification;
- Commission of any crime (non-conviction).
Veteran’s Preference Points : City of Tukwila follows the guidance given by the State of Washington regarding applying veteran’s points.
Please attach a copy of your DD214 or NGB Form 22 to your online application if you are eligible to claim these points.