Entry Level Police Officer, North Las Vegas PD
The City of North Las Vegas is hiring for entry-level Police Officer.
Testing on NTN will be open continuously until further notice. Testing results will be pulled periodically by the City as vacancies occur.
Candidates who have completed the PHQ and NTN entry-level testing may be invited to continue in the selection process.
Once you have successfully completed and passed your NTN exam, please make sure you complete your Personal History Questionnaire (PHQ) on the NTN website. Once that is complete, please contact NLVPD Recruiting at (702) 633-2255.
Physical abilities testing is required and will be administered by the North Las Vegas Police Department by appointment only.
Although there have been recent changes to laws regarding the legal possession and consumption of Marijuana, the North Las Vegas Police Department will continue to adhere to its professional standards and guidelines as it relates to recent and continuous use of the drug.
Salary Information: $53,380 – $91,812
The City’s comprehensive benefit package includes:
- City paid Retirement Plan (Nevada PERS)
- Cost sharing Medical/Dental/Vision (Employee and dependent coverage)
- City paid Life Insurance (Plus limited dependent coverage)
- A four-day, forty-hour work week
- Thirteen paid holidays
- Bilingual proficiency compensation, tuition assistance, and education incentive pay
- Annual and Sick leave benefits
- Paid academy training, uniform allowance, supplied uniforms and certain equipment
- Deferred Compensation Plan (457)
- Flexible Spending Account (125c)
North Las Vegas is a member of the Public Employee Retirement System (PERS) and the City pays 100% of the employee’s contribution to the PERS retirement plan. As a result, employees do not pay any Social Security tax but do have a Medicare deduction. The State of Nevada does not have a state income tax.
Department Information: The North Las Vegas Police Department’s mission is to encourage and engage the community to work as one in order to provide a safe, secure, and enjoyable community. This is accomplished by protecting lives and property; maintaining social order by enforcing federal, state, and local laws; working in a collaborative effort with the community to identify problems and disorder; and involving the community in the search for solutions.
The Police Department is committed to having a positive impact in the City of North Las Vegas by reducing crime, reducing the fear of crime and enhancing the quality of life in the community.
The Department has three commands, which are divided in seventeen divisions. The Department is staffed by a total of 416 full time employees (310 Commissioned Police and 106 Civilians).
City Information: The City of North Las Vegas is a full-service municipality, providing recreational amenities, police and fire protection and water service. It operates under a Council-Manager form of government, comprised of a Mayor and four Council members.
The City of North Las Vegas stretches across the northern rim of Las Vegas Valley. The City, which was incorporated in 1946, encompasses 101.4 square-miles within Clark County in Southern Nevada. Since 2000, the City’s population has grown by 91.3 percent, making it home to about 249,180 residents as of the 2017 census. North Las Vegas is the third-largest city in Nevada. The City embraces its’ diversity, living up to its’ motto of being “Your Community of Choice.”
Age : Applicant may be 20 years of age at time of submitting Application and Testing, but must be 21 years of age or older at time of hire.
US Citizen : Yes
High School Grad/GED : Yes
Valid NEVADA State Driver’s License : Yes
Ability to Read/Speak English : Yes
- Visual Acuity: Vision 20/20 in best eye and not worse than 20/30 in worse eye with/without correction. If correction is necessary, uncorrected vision no worse than 20/100 in each eye.
- Color Vision: Must recognize 4/6 plates on titmus color vision test.
- Hearing: Average hearing 1000/2000/3000 HZ must not exceed 25db. No single reading to exceed 35 db at 500/1000/2000/3000/4000 HZ. A hearing aid can be accepted with a letter from an audiologist indicating proper fit and level of hearing correction in both ears.
Necessary Certifications :
- Nevada P.O.S.T. (for Entry-Level: ability to obtain P.O.S.T. certification within established state time period)
- Must Possess a valid and current NV state driver’s license at time of hire and maintain satisfactory motor vehicle record for duration of employment
- Ability to pass a job related medical examination, which will include a drug screen, and a psychological evaluation
- Must pass an extensive background check including a polygraph/CVSA examination. A record of repeated criminal misdemeanors and/or felony violations or other violations of the law may be disqualifying
Specific Disqualifiers/Behaviors : Felony, Criminal Activity Disqualifiers
- Any felony conviction
- Any domestic violence conviction
- Gross misdemeanor and misdemeanor convictions will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
Two or more DUI convictions
In addition, the ideal candidate must have the ability to :
- Learn and follow rules and regulations of the NLVPD and of pertinent federal, state, and local laws, regulations, and ordinances as applicable to the police officer function
- Apply police science principles, practices, methods, techniques and equipment as required or assigned
- Make quick, sound and logical decisions in emergency situations and be able to work under strict discipline
- Communicate clearly and concisely
- Learn proper and correct care and use of firearms, camera, department radio, computers and other police related equipment
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) proficiency desired but not required
Must meet City’s medical standards and pass annual physical exam with an agency selected by the City and meet annual department standards within required time-frame.
Must be able to work any shift or days of the week and work in a security type environment and manage stressful and potentially dangerous/difficult contact situations.
Employees must be neat and clean in their appearance in public, whether in or out of uniform. Therefore, applicants with visible tattoos, brandings, and/or body piercings in areas of the body which cannot be covered by the appropriate dress required of this position will be disqualified, if they are not removed by the date of their background interview. Such markings may not be concealed using make-up or bandages. Further, tattoos or brandings anywhere on the body that promote racism/discrimination, indecency, extremist or supremacist philosophies, lawlessness, or violence, or contain sexually explicitly material are prohibited. Applicants with gauged earlobes will also be disqualified if not corrected by their background interview.
Selection Process : Candidates must achieve 70% or higher on each section of the exam in order to be considered to proceed in the recruitment process. Achieving 70% or higher on each section of the exam does not guarantee an invitation to the physical fitness examination.
Employment is contingent upon successful completion a video examination, physical agility examination, command staff review, a medical examination (including drug screen) with an agency selected by the City, a polygraph/CVSA examination, a thorough background investigation, including completion of a supplemental background packet as directed by the North Las Vegas Police Department and any other appropriate measures deemed necessary. Conditions of employment requires that the employee maintain proficiency in all areas as required by department standards and within department established time periods.
- NTN Testing – Candidates must achieve 70% or higher on each section of the exam. Achieving an average of 70% or higher does not guarantee an invitation to the physical fitness examination as the City will initially proceed with the highest scoring candidates only.
- Candidates who achieve 70% or higher on each section of the exam will have their scores forwarded to the North Las Vegas Police Department.
- The North Las Vegas Police Department eligibility list ranking will be determined by an average of your video, reading and writing score.
- The North Las Vegas Police department eligibility list shall not exceed 12 months from the date the list of eligible applicants is obtained from NTN by the North Las Vegas Police Department.
- Veterans Hiring Preference – Any applicant who has been honorably discharged from the military and has achieved 70% or higher on each section of the exam will be given five additional points. The five additional points will be added to the applicant’s final score at the conclusion of all testing. Proof of DD form 214 will be required.
- North Las Vegas Resident Preference – Any applicant who is a resident of North Las Vegas and has achieved 70% or higher on each section of the exam will be given five additional points. The five additional points will be added to the applicant’s final score at the conclusion of all testing. Proof of residency will be required.
- Applicants can receive either the Veterans Preference Points or the North Las Vegas Resident Preference Points, but not both for a maximum preference point total of five points.
- Physical Fitness Examination – Pass/Fail – This examination is scheduled by appointment only.
- Command Staff Review – Pass/Fail – Scheduled by appointment only.
- Background Investigation Process – Includes an intensive background check, polygraph/CVSA examination, medical/drug screen exam, and a psychological evaluation.
The selection process for this position consists of several phases. You may find a more detailed description of each phase in our Informational Booklet. The Informational Booklet for Police Officer is available on our employment website, www.cityofnorthlasvegas.com. Please make sure to read this booklet carefully prior to beginning the testing process, as it will provide pertinent and important information.
The information contained herein is subject to change without notice and does not constitute either an expressed or implied contract.