FEATURED IN NEWS
- Mississippi Investigations Director Killed in Training Exercise
- ODMP: New Jersey Detective Struck and Killed
- ODMP Canada: RCMP Constable Succumbs to Wounds
- Video Released in Fatal New Jersey Officer-Involved Shooting
- Evacuations During Ottawa Chemical Investigation
- FBI Completes Ferguson Investigation
- Dover Dash Cam Video Gains Global Attention
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. (AP) — Winston-Salem police say a 28-year-old officer died after he lost control of his patrol car and crashed into trees.
Authorities say Officer Russell Willingham crashed about 3:15 a.m. Saturday and was killed.
Police Chief Scott Cunningham says Willingham was driving to help a fellow officer who was following a possible drunken driver, but he never made it there. His car went off the road and down an embankment.
Willingham was trapped inside his car and radioed for help, but when emergency responders arrived, the car was engulfed in flames. He died at the scene.
Willingham joined the police department in August 2009. Before that, he worked in the Greensboro police department for two years.
Flags have been lowered to half-staff at the police station.
- News-Record.com: Winston-Salem officer killed on way to help
- Winston-Salem Journal: Winston-Salem police officer dies in car crash early Saturday
- WFMY: Greensboro Police Officers Remember Russell Willingham
- WXII: WSPD Officer Killed In On-Duty Car Accident
- MyFox8.com: Winston-Salem Officer Killed in On-duty Car Accident