FEATURED IN NEWS
- Portland Police Rescue Couple from Angry Cat
- Arrest Made in California Severed Head Case
- At Least 3,500 Officers to Cover 2014 Boston Marathon
- Arrest in Murder of Off-Duty Ohio Officer
- LAPD Officer Killed, One Critically Injured in Crash
- One Person Critically Wounded in Memphis Mall Shooting
- Rhode Island Boy Named Honorary Police Chief
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. (AP) — Winston-Salem police say a 28-year-old officer died after he lost control of his patrol car and crashed into trees.
Authorities say Officer Russell Willingham crashed about 3:15 a.m. Saturday and was killed.
Police Chief Scott Cunningham says Willingham was driving to help a fellow officer who was following a possible drunken driver, but he never made it there. His car went off the road and down an embankment.
Willingham was trapped inside his car and radioed for help, but when emergency responders arrived, the car was engulfed in flames. He died at the scene.
Willingham joined the police department in August 2009. Before that, he worked in the Greensboro police department for two years.
Flags have been lowered to half-staff at the police station.
- News-Record.com: Winston-Salem officer killed on way to help
- Winston-Salem Journal: Winston-Salem police officer dies in car crash early Saturday
- WFMY: Greensboro Police Officers Remember Russell Willingham
- WXII: WSPD Officer Killed In On-Duty Car Accident
- MyFox8.com: Winston-Salem Officer Killed in On-duty Car Accident