FEATURED IN NEWS
- LAPD Officer Killed, One Critically Injured in Crash
- One Person Critically Wounded in Memphis Mall Shooting
- Rhode Island Boy Named Honorary Police Chief
- Mother in Florida Surf Rescue Was Stopped Earlier by Police
- Indianapolis SWAT Officers Shot Serving Warrant
- Biker Injured in NYC Brawl Speaks Out
- Sentencing in Murder of Colorado Prison Director
WILLIAMSON, W.Va. (AP) — A state official says a West Virginia county sheriff has been shot to death and a suspect is in custody.
Gov. Earl Ray Tomblin's chief of staff, Rob Alsop, says state police told the governor that Mingo County Sheriff Eugene Crum died Wednesday.
Mingo County Office of Emergency Services head dispatcher Willis Spence says the shooting was in Williamson within a block of the county courthouse.
Alsop says the suspect also was shot and was taken to a hospital.
The shooting comes on the heels of a Texas district attorney and his wife being shot to death in their home over the weekend, and officials suspect a white supremacist prison gang. Those killings happened a couple of months after one of the county's assistant district attorneys was killed near his courthouse office.