Officer Charles Nesbitt Jr. (Sumter Police)
FEATURED IN NEWS
- Portland Police Continue Pizza Delivery for Injured Driver
- Three Dead in Shooting at Alabama UPS Facility
- Tensions High as Pennsylvania Gunman Eludes Capture
- Secret Service Considers Security Upgrades after Perimeter Breach
- Rookie NYPD Officer Killed, Others Injured in Crash
- Rifle Found in Search for Pennsylvania Gunman
- Body of Texas Deputy Found in Lake
SUMTER COUNTY, SC (WIS) - A Sumter Police officer is dead after an accident involving a law enforcement vehicle near the town of Rembert, according to the South Carolina Highway Patrol.
Troopers have identified the victim as 39-year-old Charles "Chuck" Nesbitt Jr. He was a 10-year veteran on the force.
The incident happened on Highway 521 around 3:00pm and involved a second vehicle that the Highway Patrol said was not a law enforcement vehicle.
Troopers said Nesbitt was performing duties under the warrant division and was traveling with Master Patrolman James Cox.
Both men were taken to KershawHealth to be treated. Nesbitt was pronounced dead around 4:00pm.
The Highway Patrol continues to investigate the incident.
Copyright 2011 WIS. All rights reserved.