Officer Charles Nesbitt Jr. (Sumter Police)
FEATURED IN NEWS
- Feds Sue New York City over Rikers Violence
- Arizona Sheriff Gives Up Immigration Enforcement Effort
- Grand Jury Clears Officers in FSU Shooting
- Philadelphia Fire Department Apologizes for Medic’s Jab at Police
- Three Dead after Driver Crashes into California Pedestrians
- Mississippi Deputy Killed in Crash
- Over 70 Children Go Christmas Shopping with Tennessee Officers
SUMTER COUNTY, SC (WIS) - A Sumter Police officer is dead after an accident involving a law enforcement vehicle near the town of Rembert, according to the South Carolina Highway Patrol.
Troopers have identified the victim as 39-year-old Charles "Chuck" Nesbitt Jr. He was a 10-year veteran on the force.
The incident happened on Highway 521 around 3:00pm and involved a second vehicle that the Highway Patrol said was not a law enforcement vehicle.
Troopers said Nesbitt was performing duties under the warrant division and was traveling with Master Patrolman James Cox.
Both men were taken to KershawHealth to be treated. Nesbitt was pronounced dead around 4:00pm.
The Highway Patrol continues to investigate the incident.
Copyright 2011 WIS. All rights reserved.