Officer Charles Nesbitt Jr. (Sumter Police)
FEATURED IN NEWS
- ODMP: New Mexico Sergeant Succumbs to Earlier Crash Injuries
- New Mexico Trooper Fired in Van Shooting Incident
- Mexico Police Block Hospital in Radiation Theft Case
- ‘Stop and Frisk’ is First Challenge for New NYPD Commissioner
- Remembering the Long Island Railway Massacre
- Icelandic Gunman Stopped in Nation’s First Officer-Involved Fatal Shooting
- Former NYPD Commissioner Chosen Again to Lead Department
SUMTER COUNTY, SC (WIS) - A Sumter Police officer is dead after an accident involving a law enforcement vehicle near the town of Rembert, according to the South Carolina Highway Patrol.
Troopers have identified the victim as 39-year-old Charles "Chuck" Nesbitt Jr. He was a 10-year veteran on the force.
The incident happened on Highway 521 around 3:00pm and involved a second vehicle that the Highway Patrol said was not a law enforcement vehicle.
Troopers said Nesbitt was performing duties under the warrant division and was traveling with Master Patrolman James Cox.
Both men were taken to KershawHealth to be treated. Nesbitt was pronounced dead around 4:00pm.
The Highway Patrol continues to investigate the incident.
Copyright 2011 WIS. All rights reserved.