FEATURED IN NEWS
- Ferguson Leaders, DOJ Plan to Improve Police Department
- RCMP Commissioner Releases Details, Video from Parliament Hill Attack
- Video: Philadelphia Officer Killed in Gunfight
- Los Angeles Skid Row Shooting Reveals Agency and Government Mistakes
- Justice Department Clears Officer in Ferguson Case
- Georgia Officer Killed in Ambush
- Boston Marathon Bombing Trial Begins
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Authorities say a Tennessee sheriff's deputy has died at a Nashville hospital a day after he was shot by a man who then fatally shot himself.
Deputy Richard "Keith" Bellar died at 7:45 a.m. Tuesday at Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville. Dickson County Sheriff Jeff Bledsoe announced the officer's death at the hospital. The visibly upset sheriff took no questions from reporters after making the announcement.
Bellar was shot in the head at about 7 a.m. Monday.
Authorities said 27-year-old Jason Eggenberg ran his estranged wife's car off a road and Bellar stopped to assist with what appeared to be a traffic accident. Police said Eggenberg shot Bellar, then killed himself.
Dickson County is about 35 miles west of Nashville.