FEATURED IN NEWS
- Idaho City Names Police Chief as ‘Citizen of the Year’
- Small Drone Crashes on White House Lawn
- ODMP: Heart Attack Claims Kansas Motor Officer
- Mississippi Investigations Director Killed in Training Exercise
- ODMP: New Jersey Detective Struck and Killed
- ODMP Canada: RCMP Constable Succumbs to Wounds
- Video Released in Fatal New Jersey Officer-Involved Shooting
CARUTHERSVILLE, Mo. (AP) — A 28-year-old police officer from the southeast Missouri town of Caruthersville is dead after a suspect crashed into his squad car.
Evan Burns died early Tuesday. Pemiscot County Sheriff Tommy Greenwell says deputies spotted a stolen Cadillac Escalade on Interstate 55 about 12:30 a.m., and began a chase. When the SUV left the interstate and went on Highway 84, Burns and another Caruthersville officer, Richard Altice, set up spike strips.
The suspect's SUV struck Altice's car then rammed into Burn's car. Burns died on impact.
Altice is hospitalized, but details were not released.
The suspect is in custody. Charges were not filed by mid-morning Tuesday. Authorities say the man was wanted in O'Fallon, Mo., for allegedly setting his step-father on fire and stealing the SUV.
- KMOV: Caruthersville officer killed in high speed chase; suspect in custody
- KSDK: Policeman killed in collision with O'Fallon, Mo. fugitive
- STLtoday.com: Caruthersville officer killed in police pursuit of O'Fallon, Mo. suspect
- Fox2Now.com: O'Fallon Man Blamed for Officer's Death
- WREG: Officer Killed, One Wounded in Chase
- KAIT: Caruthersville police officer killed in the line of duty