FEATURED IN NEWS
- Children among Eight Held Hostage in Illinois Standoff; Officers Shot
- St. Louis Police Shoot to Stop Armed Man Threatening Officers
- New Orleans Police Chief Retires
- California Police Foil School Shooting Plot
- More Violence and Injured Officers in Ferguson
- Militias Complicate Texas Border Situation
- Nebraska Sheriff Suffers Fatal Heart Attack after Struggle
PUERTO RICO -- Agent Mariano Rodríguez-Maldonado, who had served with the Puerto Rico Police Department for seven years, was killed in an automobile accident as he and his partner responded to a call involving a mental patient. The patient was causing a disturbance at a gas station.
Rodríguez-Maldonado and his partner were traveling along PR-3 when their cruiser left the roadway and struck the highway divider. The impact impaled the vehicle's passenger side, which is where Rodríguez-Maldonado was riding. He suffered fatal injuries and his partner suffered severe leg injuries.