Pittsburgh Police K9 'Rocco' (ODMP photo)
FEATURED IN NEWS
- Colorado Carjacking Suspect Caught in Rush Hour Chase
- NYPD Officers, First Responders Rush to Manhattan Explosion
- Portland Police Rescue Couple from Angry Cat
- Arrest Made in California Severed Head Case
- At Least 3,500 Officers to Cover 2014 Boston Marathon
- Arrest in Murder of Off-Duty Ohio Officer
- LAPD Officer Killed, One Critically Injured in Crash
K9 Rocco succumbed to stab wounds sustained two days earlier while protecting his handler and another officer, who were in a violent struggle with a fugitive.
The subject had attempted to disarm a deputy earlier in the day when an Allegheny County sheriff's deputy attempted to arrest him for failure to register as a sex offender and home invasion. The man was able to flee after struggling with the deputy and fled to the 3700 block of Butler Street, where he was located several hours later.
Officer located him the basement of a building. When they entered the darkened room the man began swinging a 5-inch knife at them, wounding both officers. K9 Rocco attacked the subject but suffered a deep stab wound to the back, which punctured his kidney and spine. Rocco was taken to an emergency animal hospital where he underwent multiple surgeries and blood transfusions, but died two days later.
The subject was taken into custody and faces multiple charges.
K9 Rocco had served with the Pittsburgh Police Department for five years.
Condolences may be sent to:
Pittsburgh Police Department
1203 Western Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15233
Procession for K9 ‘Rocco’ courtesy of WPXI