Hitcho fatally shot Lasso as the officer approached his home Thursday afternoon.
FEATURED IN NEWS
- ODMP: Alabama Deputy Killed in Collision
- FBI Agents Shot While Serving Warrant in Missouri
- National Guard Keeps Ferguson Protests Less Destructive
- Videos, Photos: Aftermath of Ferguson Violence
- Video: Ferguson Officer Breaks His Silence
- Gunman in Florida Ambush Held Anti-Government Views
- ODMP: Florida Deputy Killed in Ambush
FREEMANSBURG, Pa. (AP) — A police officer in a small eastern Pennsylvania borough was shot and killed while investigating a report of a disturbance Thursday evening and authorities said a suspect was in custody.
WTFX Images: Northhampton County Officer Shot to Death
Officer Robert Lasso, 31, a seven-year veteran, was investigating a report of a disturbance in Freemansburg, about 45 miles north of Philadelphia, when he was shot, Northampton County District Attorney John Morganelli said at a news conference in Bethlehem on Thursday night. A suspect was in custody but had not yet been charged, Morganelli said.
"When a law enforcement officer goes down in the line of duty like this, it affects all of us," Morganelli said. "The law enforcement community is a fraternity. ... It's like a punch in the stomach."
Investigators said they were still sorting through exactly what happened when Lasso, who was married with two young children, went to the residence on a domestic call.
When he got to the home, police said, he was confronted and shot. He was taken to the hospital where he died from the gunshot wound a short time later, according to the coroner. An autopsy is set for Friday.
The Morning Call of Allentown reports that Lasso was the son of borough Councilman Donald Lasso, a longtime member of the fire department and its former chief.
- Philly.com: Northampton County officer killed; suspect held
- WFMZ: Officer's Death Stuns Community
- LehighValleyLive.com: Freemansburg police officer Robert Lasso fatally shot; George Hitcho Jr. is in custody
- SouthWhitehallPatch.com: Police Officer Shot in Freemansburg
- MyFoxPhilly.com: Northampton County Officer Shot To Death
- NBC Philadelphia: Police Officer Shot, Killed in the Line of Duty