Trooper Ellen E. Engelhardt
FEATURED IN NEWS
- LAPD Officer Killed, One Critically Injured in Crash
- One Person Critically Wounded in Memphis Mall Shooting
- Rhode Island Boy Named Honorary Police Chief
- Mother in Florida Surf Rescue Was Stopped Earlier by Police
- Indianapolis SWAT Officers Shot Serving Warrant
- Biker Injured in NYC Brawl Speaks Out
- Sentencing in Murder of Colorado Prison Director
Trooper Ellen E. Engelhardt, who was left in a permanent vegetative state after being struck by a drunk driver in 2003, has died, State Police said today.
"It is with profound sadness that we mourn the loss of Trooper Ellen Engelhardt, who was not just a valued colleague but also a dear friend who dedicated her career to protecting the citizens of our state. Since suffering the tragic injuries inflicted upon her in the line of duty by a drunk driver, Trooper Engelhardt has been an inspiration to every member of this Department for the courage, grace and dignity with which she lived," Colonel Marian J. McGovern, the superintendent of the State Police, said in a statement.