FEATURED IN NEWS
- Body of Texas Deputy Found in Lake
- Shots Fired During Search for Pennsylvania Gunman
- Manhunt Continues for Gunman in Pennsylvania Ambush
- Search to Resume for Texas Deputy
- Florida Felon Kills Six Grandchildren in Murder-Suicide Rampage
- Workplace Violence, Trauma & Recovery: When LEOs Attack Their Own
- U. S. Border Patrol Plans Testing of Body Cameras
HOUMA, La. -- An off-duty Thibodaux police officer was killed and his girlfriend critically injured after the motorcycle they were riding collided with a truck.
The accident occurred around 10:45 a.m. Saturday.
State police say 40-year-old Sidney Simmons of Gray and his girlfriend, 29-year-old Lanie Verdin, were southbound on Bayou Blue Road when a truck made a left turn into the path of Simmons' motorcycle.
Simmons was pronounced dead at the scene. Verdin was taken to Thibodaux Regional Medical Center with internal injuries.
State police say the accident remains under investigation.
The Courier reports Simmons was a 17-year law-enforcement veteran, spending much of that time with the Terrebonne Parish Sheriff's Office. He left there about seven months ago to work for the Thibodaux Police Department.