FEATURED IN NEWS
- Fatal End for Suspect in Vegas Crime Spree
- New Jersey Officers Break up Violent Wedding Reception
- Mother Sues Border Patrol for Son’s Death
- New York Mayor Vows to Improve NYPD, Community Relations
- Over 2,000 9/11 First Responders Diagnosed with Cancer
- Two Charged in Fatal Philadelphia Carjacking Crash
- Marshals, NYPD Officer Wounded in Shootout
HOUMA, La. -- An off-duty Thibodaux police officer was killed and his girlfriend critically injured after the motorcycle they were riding collided with a truck.
The accident occurred around 10:45 a.m. Saturday.
State police say 40-year-old Sidney Simmons of Gray and his girlfriend, 29-year-old Lanie Verdin, were southbound on Bayou Blue Road when a truck made a left turn into the path of Simmons' motorcycle.
Simmons was pronounced dead at the scene. Verdin was taken to Thibodaux Regional Medical Center with internal injuries.
State police say the accident remains under investigation.
The Courier reports Simmons was a 17-year law-enforcement veteran, spending much of that time with the Terrebonne Parish Sheriff's Office. He left there about seven months ago to work for the Thibodaux Police Department.