FEATURED IN NEWS
- Boston Marathon Organizers Confident About Safe Race
- ODMP: Portland K9 Shot and Killed
- ODMP: Wisconsin Deputy Succumbs to Earlier Gunshot Wound
- Five Dead in Calgary Party Slaying
- Boston Police Safely Detonate Suspicious Packages at Marathon Finish Line
- Could Police Have Prevented the Boston Bombings?
- Police: Sex Offender Suspects in California Serial Killings Wore GPS Devices
HOUMA, La. -- An off-duty Thibodaux police officer was killed and his girlfriend critically injured after the motorcycle they were riding collided with a truck.
The accident occurred around 10:45 a.m. Saturday.
State police say 40-year-old Sidney Simmons of Gray and his girlfriend, 29-year-old Lanie Verdin, were southbound on Bayou Blue Road when a truck made a left turn into the path of Simmons' motorcycle.
Simmons was pronounced dead at the scene. Verdin was taken to Thibodaux Regional Medical Center with internal injuries.
State police say the accident remains under investigation.
The Courier reports Simmons was a 17-year law-enforcement veteran, spending much of that time with the Terrebonne Parish Sheriff's Office. He left there about seven months ago to work for the Thibodaux Police Department.