FEATURED IN NEWS
- Children among Eight Held Hostage in Illinois Standoff; Officers Shot
- St. Louis Police Shoot to Stop Armed Man Threatening Officers
- New Orleans Police Chief Retires
- California Police Foil School Shooting Plot
- More Violence and Injured Officers in Ferguson
- Militias Complicate Texas Border Situation
- Nebraska Sheriff Suffers Fatal Heart Attack after Struggle
LITCHFIELD, Ill. (AP) — Illinois State Police say one of its motorcycle troopers is dead after being hit by a passing tractor-trailer during a freeway traffic stop in southern Illinois.
State Police say 32-year-old Trooper Kyle Deatherage died at the scene of the accident shortly after 9 a.m. Monday along Interstate 55 near Litchfield.
State Police Director Hiram Grau says Deatherage was a married father of two children and had been a trooper since May 2009.
There was no immediate word on any charges.
Litchfield is about 55 miles northeast of St. Louis.
Funeral arrangements are pending.