FEATURED IN NEWS
- Sept. 11 Memorial Open to Public on Anniversary
- Excessive Force Lawsuit Filed in Wake of Ferguson Protests
- Teamwork Helps Outfit California Police Department
- Chattanooga Police Aim to Improve Relations with Latino Community
- New K9 Joins Abilene Police Department
- Ohio Highway Named in Honor of Fallen Officer
- Teens save Suicidal Woman Jumping from Maine Bridge
HONOLULU (AP) — A Honolulu police officer is dead and another seriously injured after a collision during a traffic stop on the west side of Oahu.
Officials say the two officers were conducting a routine traffic stop Tuesday night on Farrington Highway near Ko Olina when a pick-up truck crashed into them.
Hawaii News Now and KITV report Officer Eric Fontes later died and the other officer is hospitalized in serious condition.
Police arrested a 20-year-old Waianae man at the scene for negligent homicide and negligent injury.
Fontes is the 42nd Honolulu officer to die in the line of duty.
Police Chief Louis Kealoha is expected to make a statement Wednesday.
- HPD Officer Killed Following Traffic collision on Farrington Highway
- ODMP Remembers Officer Eric Fontes