FEATURED IN NEWS
- Calm Urged in Ferguson
- Drug Lab Explosion Destroys California Home
- Anniversary Memorial Service Held for Slain Agents, Officer
- ODMP: Heart Attack Claims Veteran Affairs Officer
- ODMP: North Carolina Sergeant Killed in Crash
- Union Official: Ferguson Officer Confident About Grand Jury Decision
- Shooting in New Jersey Home Claims Two Children
RONKONKOMA, N.Y. (AP) — A funeral Mass is being held Monday on Long Island for a highway patrolman killed while investigating a series of crashes on the Long Island Expressway.
Nassau County Police Officer Joseph Olivieri died last Thursday morning.
The officer had been on the eastbound LIE shortly before 5 a.m. He was investigating after an alleged drunken driver crashed into one car and then was struck by another vehicle moments later.
The officer was killed when an oncoming SUV struck him. The SUV driver was not charged.
The alleged drunken driver also faces vehicular manslaughter and other charges. He is free on bond.
A funeral Mass is scheduled for 1 p.m. Monday at St. Joseph's Catholic Church in Ronkonkoma.
Olivieri was a 13-year Nassau police veteran.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.