FEATURED IN NEWS
- Feds Sue New York City over Rikers Violence
- Arizona Sheriff Gives Up Immigration Enforcement Effort
- Grand Jury Clears Officers in FSU Shooting
- Philadelphia Fire Department Apologizes for Medic’s Jab at Police
- Three Dead after Driver Crashes into California Pedestrians
- Mississippi Deputy Killed in Crash
- Over 70 Children Go Christmas Shopping with Tennessee Officers
EUGENE, Ore. — Authorities say an Oregon motorcycle officer has been fatally shot while chasing a fleeing driver.
Police say Eugene police officer Chris Kilcullen tried to make a traffic stop on Interstate 105 but the driver sped off.
The Eugene Register-Guard reports that the 43-year-old Kilcullen chased the motorist to an intersection in nearby Springfield, where gunfire erupted.
Kilcullen was hit and did not return fire.
Eugene Police Chief Pete Kerns says the 12-year Eugene veteran was hospitalized but died of his wounds.
Police say the female driver was stopped by local police following a short chase and a standoff developed. A SWAT team was called and the woman was taken into custody about 7:30 p.m.
No other details were immediately available.