FEATURED IN NEWS
- Arkansas Grandfather Kills Grandchildren in Murder-Suicide
- Texas Executes Inmate Convicted of Killed Corrections Officer
- Maine Police Chief Takes on Fire Chief Duties
- Attorneys Claim California Officers Are Wrongly Accused in Death of Homeless Man
- Sex Offender Steals Seattle Ferry
- Eight Dead, Many Injured When Police Chopper Crashes onto Scottish Pub
- Off-Duty Kansas City Firefighter Shot by Off-Duty Police Officer
EUGENE, Ore. — Authorities say an Oregon motorcycle officer has been fatally shot while chasing a fleeing driver.
Police say Eugene police officer Chris Kilcullen tried to make a traffic stop on Interstate 105 but the driver sped off.
The Eugene Register-Guard reports that the 43-year-old Kilcullen chased the motorist to an intersection in nearby Springfield, where gunfire erupted.
Kilcullen was hit and did not return fire.
Eugene Police Chief Pete Kerns says the 12-year Eugene veteran was hospitalized but died of his wounds.
Police say the female driver was stopped by local police following a short chase and a standoff developed. A SWAT team was called and the woman was taken into custody about 7:30 p.m.
No other details were immediately available.