FEATURED IN NEWS
- Judge Rejects Restriction Order on Maine Nurse
- Two Arizona Officers Killed in Crashes
- California Officer Remembered as Loving Father, Son
- Violent Attack on D.C. Officer
- Pennsylvania Ambush Suspect Captured, Cuffed with Slain Trooper's Handcuffs
- Arizona Detention Officer Fatally Shoots Inmate in Struggle
- Naloxone Given to Illinois Police Departments
EUGENE, Ore. — Authorities say an Oregon motorcycle officer has been fatally shot while chasing a fleeing driver.
Police say Eugene police officer Chris Kilcullen tried to make a traffic stop on Interstate 105 but the driver sped off.
The Eugene Register-Guard reports that the 43-year-old Kilcullen chased the motorist to an intersection in nearby Springfield, where gunfire erupted.
Kilcullen was hit and did not return fire.
Eugene Police Chief Pete Kerns says the 12-year Eugene veteran was hospitalized but died of his wounds.
Police say the female driver was stopped by local police following a short chase and a standoff developed. A SWAT team was called and the woman was taken into custody about 7:30 p.m.
No other details were immediately available.