Detroit Police Officer Charles Armour (WDIV photo)
FEATURED IN NEWS
- Boston Marathon Organizers Confident About Safe Race
- ODMP: Portland K9 Shot and Killed
- ODMP: Wisconsin Deputy Succumbs to Earlier Gunshot Wound
- Five Dead in Calgary Party Slaying
- Boston Police Safely Detonate Suspicious Packages at Marathon Finish Line
- Could Police Have Prevented the Boston Bombings?
- Police: Sex Offender Suspects in California Serial Killings Wore GPS Devices
DETROIT (WDIV) - A Detroit police officer who was thought to be recovering after a driver hit him has died.
Officer Charles Armour died Saturday night at a hospital where he was being treated for injuries from the June 5 incident.
Armour, who had about 16 years on the force, was struck while on foot patrol in the Greektown entertainment district.
"Our hearts are hurting. We're a little shaky in the knees," Police Chief Ralph Godbee said at a news conference. "We've lost a tremendous police officer."
Godbee said Armour was trying to get a car that was blocking traffic to move and was struck by the vehicle's driver.
Police arrested the motorist after he started driving the wrong way on the street.
Saddam Mohsin, 30, of Buffalo, N.Y., faces charges including assault with intent to commit murder and reckless driving. The charges against Mohsin could be upgraded now that Armour has died. Godbee said he expected to talk with Wayne County prosecutors about amending the charges.
Mohsin remained in custody Sunday, and officials said they couldn't immediately provide his lawyer's name.
Armour's injuries were initially reported to be non-life-threatening. Godbee said Armour seemed to be recuperating when he visited him in the hospital.
"He was texting and updating Facebook," the chief said.
The exact cause of Armour's death won't be known until after a medical examiner's report, Godbee said. Armour, 40, is survived by a 4-year-old daughter.
Funeral arrangements are pending.
- WDIV: Detroit Police Chief: 'Our Hearts Are Hurting'
- Detroit Free Press: Detroit officer struck by vehicle in Greektown dies of injuries