FEATURED IN NEWS
- Search for Suspect in Pennsylvania Ambush Continues
- Tampa Faces Wave of Fire, Police Retirements
- Utah Family Found Dead inside Home
- Police Interview Attacker in Oklahoma Beheading
- Police Search for Suspect Who Shot Ferguson Officer
- 15 Wounded in Miami Nightclub Shooting
- Woman Beheaded at Oklahoma Food Center; Off-Duty Deputy Shoots to Stop Attacker
MODESTO, Calif. (AP) — A sheriff's deputy and a civilian were killed Thursday when gunfire broke out as authorities tried to serve an eviction notice at a California apartment complex, officials said.
The shootings led to a standoff with the suspect, who was believed to be holed up inside an apartment. The FBI and SWAT teams surrounded the building, and authorities evacuated residents in surrounding homes.
Two deputies went to the north Modesto home to deliver the notice when the shooting happened around 11 a.m., Stanislaus County Sheriff Adam Christianson said.
Neighbors told the Modesto Bee (http://bit.ly/HxXK7j ) that they heard multiple gunshots in rapid succession, as if fired from a semi-automatic weapon.
Christianson said he believed that his deputies did not return fire.
The names of those killed were not immediately released. Sheriff's officials did not release any details about the civilian fatality.
As the standoff entered its third hour Thursday afternoon, Sgt. Anthony Bejaran would not confirm if authorities had been in contact with the suspect.
"There's not much more information I can give out," said Bejaran, a sheriff's spokesman.
- News10: Stanislaus Co. sheriff's deputy, civilian killed in Modesto
- KCRA: 2 Shot To Death, Including Deputy, In Modesto
- Sacramento Bee: Modesto Bee: Sheriff's deputies injured in Modesto shooting
- KTVU: Sheriff's deputy reportedly shot in Modesto
- CBS13: Stanislaus County Deputy Shot In Modesto