FEATURED IN NEWS
- Judge Rejects Restriction Order on Maine Nurse
- Two Arizona Officers Killed in Crashes
- California Officer Remembered as Loving Father, Son
- Violent Attack on D.C. Officer
- Pennsylvania Ambush Suspect Captured, Cuffed with Slain Trooper's Handcuffs
- Arizona Detention Officer Fatally Shoots Inmate in Struggle
- Naloxone Given to Illinois Police Departments
BALL, La. (AP) — State police are investigating a fiery car crash that claimed the life of a Ball police officer.
Trooper say Officer Russell A. George was traveling southbound on U.S. Highway 165 around 2:50 a.m. Sunday when his cruiser struck an abandoned bicycle in the roadway, lost control, ran off the road and hit several trees. After colliding with the trees, investigators say the patrol car became engulfed in flames.
Officers say the 47-year-old George was unable to escape from the burning vehicle and was pronounced dead on the scene.
Police say George was responding to assist another police officer at the time of the accident.