FEATURED IN NEWS
- COPS TV Technician Killed During Robbery Investigation
- Missouri Governor Names New Public Safety Director
- Wyoming K9 Dies inside Hot Patrol Car
- Attempted Murder Charges in Shooting of California Officer
- Oklahoma City K9 Fatally Stabbed
- Media Fans Flames in Ferguson
- Puerto Rico Agent Succumbs to Wounds
BALL, La. (AP) — State police are investigating a fiery car crash that claimed the life of a Ball police officer.
Trooper say Officer Russell A. George was traveling southbound on U.S. Highway 165 around 2:50 a.m. Sunday when his cruiser struck an abandoned bicycle in the roadway, lost control, ran off the road and hit several trees. After colliding with the trees, investigators say the patrol car became engulfed in flames.
Officers say the 47-year-old George was unable to escape from the burning vehicle and was pronounced dead on the scene.
Police say George was responding to assist another police officer at the time of the accident.