FEATURED IN NEWS
- Boston Marathon Organizers Confident About Safe Race
- ODMP: Portland K9 Shot and Killed
- ODMP: Wisconsin Deputy Succumbs to Earlier Gunshot Wound
- Five Dead in Calgary Party Slaying
- Boston Police Safely Detonate Suspicious Packages at Marathon Finish Line
- Could Police Have Prevented the Boston Bombings?
- Police: Sex Offender Suspects in California Serial Killings Wore GPS Devices
BALL, La. (AP) — State police are investigating a fiery car crash that claimed the life of a Ball police officer.
Trooper say Officer Russell A. George was traveling southbound on U.S. Highway 165 around 2:50 a.m. Sunday when his cruiser struck an abandoned bicycle in the roadway, lost control, ran off the road and hit several trees. After colliding with the trees, investigators say the patrol car became engulfed in flames.
Officers say the 47-year-old George was unable to escape from the burning vehicle and was pronounced dead on the scene.
Police say George was responding to assist another police officer at the time of the accident.