FEATURED IN NEWS
- Portland Police Rescue Couple from Angry Cat
- Arrest Made in California Severed Head Case
- At Least 3,500 Officers to Cover 2014 Boston Marathon
- Arrest in Murder of Off-Duty Ohio Officer
- LAPD Officer Killed, One Critically Injured in Crash
- One Person Critically Wounded in Memphis Mall Shooting
- Rhode Island Boy Named Honorary Police Chief
BALL, La. (AP) — State police are investigating a fiery car crash that claimed the life of a Ball police officer.
Trooper say Officer Russell A. George was traveling southbound on U.S. Highway 165 around 2:50 a.m. Sunday when his cruiser struck an abandoned bicycle in the roadway, lost control, ran off the road and hit several trees. After colliding with the trees, investigators say the patrol car became engulfed in flames.
Officers say the 47-year-old George was unable to escape from the burning vehicle and was pronounced dead on the scene.
Police say George was responding to assist another police officer at the time of the accident.