FEATURED IN NEWS
- Shooting in New Jersey Home Claims Two Children
- Three Wounded in Shooting at Florida State University
- Cleveland Settles 2012 Pursuit and Shooting
- Missouri Governor Declares State of Emergency
- Man Killed in Bronx Subway Shove
- Off-Duty Ohio Officer Killed, Others Wounded in Pub
- Danger Is Just Part of the Job
BALL, La. (AP) — State police are investigating a fiery car crash that claimed the life of a Ball police officer.
Trooper say Officer Russell A. George was traveling southbound on U.S. Highway 165 around 2:50 a.m. Sunday when his cruiser struck an abandoned bicycle in the roadway, lost control, ran off the road and hit several trees. After colliding with the trees, investigators say the patrol car became engulfed in flames.
Officers say the 47-year-old George was unable to escape from the burning vehicle and was pronounced dead on the scene.
Police say George was responding to assist another police officer at the time of the accident.