FEATURED IN NEWS
- National Sheriff’s Association Wants Traffic App Disabled
- DEA Drops Gun Show, LPR Plan
- Prosecutors Seek Death Penalty for Pennsylvania Gunman
- Arizona Officers Wounded in Shootout
- Utah Officers Rescue Tenants from Apartment Fire
- Prosecutors Investigate Fatal Denver Officer-Involved Shooting
- Handcuffed Woman Leads Pennsylvania Officers on Chase in Stolen Cruiser
BALL, La. (AP) — State police are investigating a fiery car crash that claimed the life of a Ball police officer.
Trooper say Officer Russell A. George was traveling southbound on U.S. Highway 165 around 2:50 a.m. Sunday when his cruiser struck an abandoned bicycle in the roadway, lost control, ran off the road and hit several trees. After colliding with the trees, investigators say the patrol car became engulfed in flames.
Officers say the 47-year-old George was unable to escape from the burning vehicle and was pronounced dead on the scene.
Police say George was responding to assist another police officer at the time of the accident.