FEATURED IN NEWS
- Body of Texas Deputy Found in Lake
- Shots Fired During Search for Pennsylvania Gunman
- Manhunt Continues for Gunman in Pennsylvania Ambush
- Search to Resume for Texas Deputy
- Florida Felon Kills Six Grandchildren in Murder-Suicide Rampage
- Workplace Violence, Trauma & Recovery: When LEOs Attack Their Own
- U. S. Border Patrol Plans Testing of Body Cameras
JONESBORO, Ga. -- Authorities say a sheriff's deputy has been shot and killed trying to serve a warrant to a suspected fugitive in an Atlanta suburb.
Clayton County authorities told WSB-TV the officer was assisting a fugitive squad in pulling over a suspect and serving a warrant when the shooting happened Wednesday afternoon.
The deputy was taken to Southern Regional Hospital, where he died.
At least 40 police officers were searching the area for the suspect, and a road block was set up. Sheriff's officials said the suspect is a 17-year-old boy.
WSB reports the deputy -- whose name hasn't been released -- is married with children, and has been in law enforcement for more than two decades.
- Suspected Shooter's Picture Released in Deputy Killing
- Clayton County Deputy Shot, Killed; 17-Year-Old Suspect at Large