FEATURED IN NEWS
- Texas Deputy Killed in Collision with Intoxicated Driver
- ODMP: South Carolina Officer Dies of Smoke Inhalation from Earlier Fire
- FBI Hostage Rescue Team Agents Killed in Training Exercise
- Phoenix Police Officer Dies in Fatal Hit-and-Run
- Metro-Washington Airport Officer Shot and Killed by Wife
- New York Student Killed During Shooting between Intruder and Police
- College Student, Intruder Killed in New York Break-In
JONESBORO, Ga. -- Authorities say a sheriff's deputy has been shot and killed trying to serve a warrant to a suspected fugitive in an Atlanta suburb.
Clayton County authorities told WSB-TV the officer was assisting a fugitive squad in pulling over a suspect and serving a warrant when the shooting happened Wednesday afternoon.
The deputy was taken to Southern Regional Hospital, where he died.
At least 40 police officers were searching the area for the suspect, and a road block was set up. Sheriff's officials said the suspect is a 17-year-old boy.
WSB reports the deputy -- whose name hasn't been released -- is married with children, and has been in law enforcement for more than two decades.
- Suspected Shooter's Picture Released in Deputy Killing
- Clayton County Deputy Shot, Killed; 17-Year-Old Suspect at Large