FEATURED IN NEWS
- Justice Department to Expedite Benefits for NYPD Officers
- Police Departments on Alert around the Country
- Florida Officer Shot, Killed and Run Over by Fugitive
- A Tough Time for Law Enforcement
- Holder: “Unspeakable Act of Barbarism”
- Murderer of NYPD Officers Posted Intent Online
- NYPD Officers Killed in Ambush
ANNISTON, Ala. -- Officer Justin Sollohub, who sustained a gunshot wound to the head yesterday during a foot pursuit, has been taken off life support, according to the Anniston Police Department.
Sollohub, 27, was on patrol when he stopped his vehicle to make contact with a pedestrian near an intersection. As Sollohub got out of his cruiser, the man fled on foot. Sollohub was shot in the head as he chased the man around the side of a house. A responding officer tended to his wound until he could be transported to the hospital.
He remained on life support in Birmingham until his organs could be donated.
Authorities say the man who shot Sollohub, 25-year-old Joshua Eugene Russell, was arrested after a manhunt. He is currently charged with attempted murder, and that charge could be upgraded.
Officer Sollohub had served with the Anniston PD for two years, and is survived by his parents.
- ODMP Remembers Police Officer Justin Sollohub
- Anniston (Ala.) Officer Shot in Head During Foot Chase